Xylitol is a natural sweetner with no artificial ingredients. It is basically a plant-based sugar that’s actually healthy for your teeth. And it is very tasty! You can cook with it, bake with it, use it in your favorite beverages or anything you want to make sweeter. Xylitol helps prevent cavities. It has a low glycemic index, so it’s good for diabetics. It digests very easily in your gastrointestinal intestinal system.
Xylitol tastes sweet but, unlike sugar, it is not converted in the mouth to acids that cause tooth decay. It actually reduces levels of decay-causing bacteria in saliva and also acts against some bacteria that cause ear infections.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Xylitol is safe in the amounts found in foods. It seems safe as a medicine for most adults in amounts up to about 50 grams per day. It also is safe when used in water to clear the sinuses. However, avoid taking higher doses by mouth. There is some concern that extremely high doses for long periods of time (more than three years) can cause tumors. Xylitol can cause diarrhea and intestinal gas. It is probably safe for children as a medicine in amounts up to 20 grams per day. So, as with most additives, use as directed, do not over do it.
Xylitol comes in gum or “ice chip” forms. A great strategy is to eat a piece of Xylitol after a meal to neutralize acid and increase saliva production, both of which are essential in prevening cavities! To satisfy that sweet tooth, see Dr. Gary Green. We sell Xylitol right in the office!
Have your candy with Xylitol and enjoy!